The Math Surgeon

The Math Surgeon
The Math Surgeon StrickCo

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Reflection on the Best Learning Theory


As I reflect on the Learning Theory’s I have studied over the past few weeks, I can actually say that using higher order skills with technology  gets better results of outcome.  Why do I say this?  The world is steadily evolving into a competitive technology atmosphere.  In order to keep up with the demands of corporations and stay competitive learners need to strengthen their cognitive skills along with their technology skills.  I used to think Constructivist and Connectivist learners have a higher advantage of learning using technology as well as their analytical skills.  I learn from actually involving myself with the process of doing the material.  Debates are important to a lesson because it brings new fresh ideas to concepts and allows me to tap into my long and short-term memory on other learned areas of the topic.  All of these strategies can be integrated with Connectivism, which is the best learning theory for my knowledge.  It is also the best theory to stay competitive in the techno world we live in.
George Siemens- Author of the Article
Connectivism- A Learning Theory for the Digital Age
                                                      
When I am learning in a Connectivist environment, I am able to utilize web sources, social learning, smart objects, blogs, mobiles, semantic aware applications, and many other technical resources together (Johnson,Levine, & Smith, 2009).  I utilize this type of learning because it directly keeps me connected to the wave of the future.  Even though constructivist learners utilize many of the higher order skills as in task involvements, social learning, and analysis of work, more emphasis has to be put on current up to date knowledge, which transcends with technology.  This is one of the reasons my views on how I learn, have focused on the Connectivism theory of learning.  As an adult learner who enjoys cyber learning, I am able to incorporate all of the learning styles (Gilbert &Swanier, 2008) during my online instruction.  Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic learning styles conjoined with modern technology, produces a wealth of knowledge that is competitive in today’s workforce.  I truly believe “Increasingly those who use technology in ways that expand their global connections are more likely to advance while those who do not will find themselves on the sideline” (Johnson,Levine, & Smith, 2009, p. 7).  I do not want to be on the sideline.  What type of learner are you?  Do you see yourself advancing with technology? 

References

Gilbert, J. E., & Swainer, C. A. (2008). Learning styles: how do they fluctuate?. Institute for Learning Styles Journal, 1, 40. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf

Johnson, L., Levine, A., & Smith, R. (2009). The 2009 horizon report. The New Media Consortium, 1-36. Retrieved from http://www.nmc.org/pdf/2009-Horizon-Report.pdf


Siemens, G. (2007). The changing nature of knowledge [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMcTHndpzYg


No comments:

Post a Comment